Friday, June 09, 2006

Backtack delivered


I was lucky enough to get to hand deliver my back tack to Alicia today at her beautiful shop. I had yet to go there so it was nice to get to see it in all its charming cotton candy beautiful prints and colors glory myself. It was also so very nice to meet the lovely Alicia in person, as well as Andy, who was eating lunch with her at the shop. Its a little odd to know things about people that have never laid eyes on your face! They were both as charming and lovely as you would think from reading Alicia's blog. For some reason though, I always pictured Alicia with shorter hair- I'm not sure whose face with the little bob I have been picturing, but now its been replaced with her actual face.
From reading her blog and from emails between us, I knew she is a girl who loves England and English style so I used that as my point of reference. Difficult, however, to get englishy with black and white but I tried my best. We both agreed that it was a challenging set of rules to stick to but in the end I was happy to have to get my brain to think outside of it's normal creative paths.Here are some details- not very ladylike to show up her dress but I liked the bottom of her feet!

I named the bear Sheila after my English mother in law. I stuffed her with actual wool stuffing and I have to say that I won't use that dreadful poly fil ever again. Wool stuffs so nice and allows you to shape nicely too. I read somewhere that when you cuddle a wool stuffed softie, it warms up. How nice is that? I packed her in a little case that I spruced up with glossy black paint and a great oil cloth remenant along with some English treats so that Alicia could have a proper English tea time.
Another back tack under my belt and I am already wondering what those girls will cook up next. It also got me into a bit of a softie run and I have a few others in the works for little friends birthdays. I love how the little case worked out so I am sure the new softies will be packed in their own cases. I just saw vinyl you can buy with the glitter in it. The kind you would upholster your speed boat seats in. I am going to take an internet break for the rest of the weeksend so I can peck away at the yard. I finally found my chocolate cosmos today so I am thrilled. Also THE MOST incredible "Ebony" Dahlia. I will post when it blo0ms- it has dark dark leaves and the stalk is almost black. A Great weekend to all!

25 Comments:

Anonymous Kristin said...

Lucky Alicia! Very cute.

8:43 PM  
Blogger lorinda said...

Oh, Mo. It's perfect. You are SO creative.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh, she is delicate and lovely. I love her dress! Wool stuffing sounds wonderful warm!Happy yard weekend.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Gorgeous job, Mo! Everything looks so darling. Where did you buy your wool stuffing? That sounds much nicer than polyfil. I know what you mean about getting bit by the softie bug. I too have others in the works.
Lori

7:50 AM  
Blogger Strikkelise said...

Thats absolutely gorgeous. I love the soles of her feet, too. And her dress!

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Alicia P. said...

Oh, how I love my Sheila! Everything was so gorgeous Mo. She honestly is the sweetest little bear(?)and we love her, and the contents of her little suitcase so much. I'm honestly overwhelmed by all your thoughtfulness and the sweet touches you included, especially your letter. Thank you so much -- I'm so pleased to have made a new friend.
Love, alicia

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Alicia P. said...

Oh yes, I see you did say she was a bear. That's what I thought. It's just that she is so PRETTY I wondered if she might be a new species. XOXO

7:47 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Shes gorgeous!!

11:26 AM  
Blogger shanna said...

And a Flake bar! What a lucky Alicia!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

What a wonderful job you did. Lucious to say the least.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Lindsey (Yankee Girl Designs) said...

Hi there, I just popped over from Alicia's blog :) what a fabby BackTack swap! Lil Miss Sheila is darling and yummy lemon curd (my fav!)

5:24 PM  
Anonymous P said...

does your mother in law come from Staffordshire by any chance? The comment about 'real' English china sounded very close to home...

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Dacia said...

Fantastic job. I am always wanting to photograph that angle of my softies, too. :)

6:40 AM  
Blogger tocspaw said...

Incredible - she's beautiful! What a terrific job you did - I'm envious!

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Abby said...

May I ask the pattern you used? That bear is just too cute!!

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mo,
You pictured Alicia with a bob, as I did, because of the small black and white photos of her smooching her husband's cheek on the "about" section of her website.
Love your little black and white softie.
Anna Maria

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anna Maria said...

P.S.
I am also curious about the wool stuffing....

9:52 AM  
Anonymous arttealife/onecrabapple said...

I know everyone is telling you - but gosh I am in love here with your little Lemongar Denia.

She is precious and inspiring...I want to have tea and lemon drops with her staring back at me....

Alicia is very lucky !!!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous arttealife/onecrabapple said...

oops! sorry ! I thouht her name was Lemongar Denia....I was so excited my eyes were only scanning thru after the pix in order to leave a comment !
(my first time here)

SHEILA Bear !

Oh do forgive !

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so amazed and captivated by back tack now. Wow.
I'm also totally intimidated.

-sp8

10:08 AM  
Blogger Helen Sh said...

Hi I stumbled across your website today while surfing in sunny Scotland which believe me is a miracle! I had to smile because having spent time in America I to used to miss English food products and now back here I miss American ones! I am a textile designer by trade but have moved into children's wooden peg hooks and shaker style christmas decorations. Your site grabbed me because of your softie, it was absolutely gorgeous. As a mother of two little girls who are very pink, I would love to make something similar but wouldn't know where to start with finding a pattern over here. I am fairly thrifty with a needle so would really only need to know the basics of putting the softie together to develop my own pattern. I am also so jealous of this back tack which I have never heard of before where do I sign up!. If you have a chance in your busy schedule to reply I would love to hear from you. Regards Helen Shields

3:25 PM  
Blogger One Crabapple said...

Had to stop by here again to see this little girl and marvel at her sweetness !

3:38 PM  
Blogger filambulle said...

She is my favourite in all BT3 softies! You are a fairy.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Kim Carney said...

That is an adorable collection of swap goodies.... nicely done ;)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Claire Louise Milne said...

Adorable! That is such a nice present, it took me ages to make mine :-)
thanks for your visit!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home