Sunday, April 16, 2006

Whiplash!


whipup






I have been wanting to do some new wall art for M's room for the longest time but haven't eeked out a space of time or thought to make something. I truly love to shop estate sales and go thrifting and as a result , I have quite a treasure trove of supplies in my stash. One thing just burning a hole in my stash has been these amazingly sweet little vintage millinery flowers. I was at an estate sale down the street and I think I got a couple of small boxes of them for around ONE DOLLAR. I saw them and scooped them up right away, feeling a little guilty, like I was doing something wrong because it was just too good a deal! I also have a bunch of german glass glitter which I love. The colors and sparkle are really gorgeous and I thought they would be the perfect compliment to my little flowers. Also in the stash are several incredible old children's books with beautiful illustrations. I actually wanted to frame some pictures from a very old copy of Cinderella with just magical drawings, but I couldn't cut it up, even though I make it live in the garage because I brought it home smelling like cigarette smoke. The smell is almost gone now and the pictures are so incredible so I just couldn't bear to cut it up. At any rate, I found some other great pictures to frame, as you can see. The most hilarious of the bunch is actually a scan from a book M and I got at the library. It was titled something like, "Why animals shouldn't wear clothes" When we got to the picture of this poor unfortunate chicken , with his trousers full of egg, we laughed and laughed and laughed. Then we looked at it some more and laughed some more. It still makes me giggle. I finished this trio off with thumbtacks that I glued little flowers and other vintage bits too so they would have cute hangers. And the frames were plain wood that I got at Michaels and Ikea for next to nothing. I used plain fine glitter on the one with the houses and if you look closely, you can see the wood grain through the glitter which I like. All in all, Im pretty happy with M's new wall art. And I am happy that Whiplash finally inspired me to get off my bum and get something made!
Now I am going to take my chocolate bloated self to bed! Hope you had a happy easter!

6 Comments:

Blogger rebecca said...

the frames and the pictures are absolutely lovely!!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

I adore these! Great work!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Great pictures! I specially like the last one! adorable!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love the frames and pictures! Very nicely done!

6:07 AM  
Blogger dido said...

I am loving these, esp the chicken in trousers!

selkie-dido.livejournal.com

9:27 AM  
Blogger Dorie said...

So wonderful! I still have Animals Should Definitely NOt Wear Clothing from when I was a kid. My daughter and I read it and laugh. The illustration of the sheep wearing sweaters has always made me uncomfortable.
-your softie maker

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home